Sep 20, 2020

Tiny Arcade


I came across Daniel C's Tiny Joypad website recently and l really liked what he was able to do with the lowly ATtiny85 MCU. He has recreated a great assortment of video games shrunk down to fit a 1" OLED screen. These small screens use less power than one (1) regular LED. This means we can power this project with a 3 volt coin cell (CR2032) and get hours of play from one battery.

Daniel has done all the hard work on this project, supplying code and schematics, as well as linking to the Arduino core and ssd1306xled OLED library he used. The only thing I did to make my version unique was to design a PCB that looked good to me. Here is what I came up with.
 


I only made a couple design changes. I took out the 10k pullup resistor on the single button and just changed to INPUT_PULLUP in the code. I also duplicated the 4 pin connector so I could mount the OLED either horizontal or vertical depending on the game choice. Of course I had to change the Joystick reads to get the movements right for the vertical install. I loaded the modified Pacman code and it worked great. Boards, parts and shipping for 10 boards came to $92 or $9.20 per project. This will be a great addition to my learn to solder classes at the public library where I volunteer. Thanks Daniel C! You can see my schematics and board info on the Easy EDA project page

I will link to my modified versions of Daniel C's game code as I add them.
Pacman - side mount.


I decided to make a 3D printed case for the Tiny Arcade.


You can see more info on the case page.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment